Fill out the brief form below for access to the free report.
Learning from President George H.W. Bush
Last week, the 2018 Class of Presidential Leadership Scholars met for the second time at the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library Foundation on the campus of Texas A&M in College Station, Texas.
Here, Scholars received unique insights from former administration officials on what it meant to work for President George H.W. Bush, and how his authentic relationships with those around him — from foreign leaders to his staff — made him an effective leader.
In addition to President George H.W. Bush and Mrs. Barbara Bush, Scholars were joined by:
- Andy Card, former Secretary of Transportation to President George H.W. Bush and Chief of Staff to President George W. Bush;
- Mary Kate Cary, Executive Producer of “41on41,” a documentary film about President George H.W. Bush, and former White House speechwriter for President George H.W. Bush;
- Tim McBride, Senior Vice President of Government Relations at United Technologies Corp. and former Personal Aide and Private Secretary to President George H.W. Bush;
- Jim McGrath, Spokesman for President George H.W. Bush and former Staff Writer and Editor in the Executive Office of President George H.W. Bush;
- Rich McKeown, Co-founder and Chairman of Leavitt Partners and former Chief of Staff to Mike Leavitt at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) during the George H.W. Bush administration;
- Virginia Mulberger, Founding Principal of The Scrowcroft Group and former Special Assistant to President George H.W. Bush and Senior Director of legislative Affairs;
- John H. Sununu, former Governor of New Hampshire and Chief of Staff to President George H.W. Bush from 1989–1992; and more.
The 2018 Class of Presidential Leadership Scholars will continue their visits to each of the four partnering presidential centers with unprecedented access to former presidents, officials from their administrations, and the unique resources of the libraries to enhance their own leadership abilities in order to make a positive difference in the world. Look out for our next update from the Clinton Presidential Center in Little Rock, Arkansas!
To learn more about the Presidential Leadership Scholars program, visit www.presidentialleadershipscholars.org. For updates about the Presidential Leadership Scholars, use #PLScholars or follow @PLSprogram on Twitter and Flickr.
This content originally appeared on the Medium page of the Presidential Leadership Scholars Program.
Domestic Excellence: A Look Back at 2018
As we look back on 2018, we celebrate some of the top moments from the Bush Institute’s work in domestic excellence.
An Example for Others
President George H.W. Bush was a humble, servant leader of character who always placed country above self. He profoundly impacted his nation, the globe, and every single individual he personally touched.
What Gives Us the Spooks at the Bush Center?
From scary movies to a lack of representation of women leaders, find out what gives us the spooks...