Fill out the brief form below for access to the free report.
George W. Bush Presidential Center Announces 2014 Holidays at the Bush Center Celebration
The George W. Bush Presidential Center announces its upcoming holiday celebration, Holidays at the Bush Center, featuring All Creatures Great and Small: Christmas at the White House 2002, the second in an annual series of holiday exhibits. Open to the public from November 22, 2014 through January 13, 2015, the exhibition will give visitors a special look at the magical White House holiday celebrations of 2002.
The Special Exhibit
All Creatures Great and Small: Christmas at the White House 2002 celebrates the joy and comfort pets have brought presidents and their families during their time in the White House. In discussing their important role in the White House in 2002, Mrs. Bush noted: “Families around the United States are comforted and amused by the animals that they get to watch out in nature, like bird watching, or that they live with in their own homes, their own pets. … Animals and birds of every description have entertained, befriended, comforted, and worked for Presidents and their families.”
In 2002, paper mache replicas of 25 First Family pets were displayed throughout the White House, complementing the year’s theme. A number of these sculptures, which were designed, crafted and decorated by White House Residence staff members, will be featured in the special exhibit.
Visitors will also enjoy a re-creation of the 2002 Blue Room display, including a Christmas tree decorated with handcrafted original ornaments featuring indigenous birds from each state. Other highlights will include original White House decorations, and the first edition of Barney Cam, which became a much-loved tradition during the President and Mrs. Bush’s time in Washington, D.C.
The exhibit is generously sponsored by Allie Beth Allman & Associates and Highland Capital Management.
A number of programmatic activities and special events will be presented including: scheduled readings for children and seasonal menus at Café 43 and the Courtyard Café. The Bush Center’s architectural centerpiece, Freedom Hall, will feature a holiday video and the entire complex will be decorated with lights, wreaths, and Christmas trees.
The Museum Store at the Bush Center will offer special holiday gifts, including the following items:
- Exclusively designed 2014 commemorative Christmas ornaments, available as a three-dimensional metal ornament featuring artwork painted by President George W. Bush (coming soon) and a hand-painted glass ball.
- Beautiful hand-crafted pewter candy dish featuring President Bush’s 43rd Presidential Seal engraved in the center of the bowl.
- Boxed set of 10 Holiday notecards, featuring the cardinal painting by President Bush that appeared on the Museum’s 2013 Christmas ornament.
- White House Christmas reproduction cards from President Bush’s years in office, matted to frame as a set of four, 2005-2008.
- Professional double 6 domino set emblazoned with the George W. Bush Presidential Center logo.
- A Presidential cowboy hat, custom made by Stetson. Special details include the 43rd Presidential Seal sewn into the crown, the President’s signature in gold relief on the interior brim, and an outside band that matches the detailing of President Bush's belt.
- Authentic belt buckle set by Max Lang, the same artisan who made the original set worn by President Bush on the cover of Decision Points. Features a three-dimensional lone star with President Bush’s signature engraved on the back and is cast in 100% sterling silver.
- Bobble head in the likeness of Barney Bush - the beloved Scottish Terrier of President and Mrs. Bush. Barney famously starred in the White House's Barney Cam holiday video series.
- Second annual edition of the Bush Center calendar, featuring photographs of the Bush family pets from their years in the White House (coming soon).
Exhibit B Roll (mp4)
Photo gallery: Bush Center is decorated by volunteers; inside the exhibit; White House Christmas 2002